University Baptist Church of Hattiesburg, Mississippi (UBC), is seeking a full-time Associate Minister. UBC is a CBF-affiliated congregation located in a city that is home to two universities. Along with general associate minister duties, the ideal candidate will serve as the primary staff minister for children’s ministries, including leadership of Godly Play, and will be responsible for enhancing existing programs and developing new ministries that promote the faith formation of church members of all ages.
The candidate must hold an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university, and hold a Master of Divinity Degree or the Master of Divinity Degree with concentration in Christian Education from an accredited seminary or divinity school. This individual should be ordained or seeking ordination.
Interested candidates may submit a resume to this email address or to
Associate Minister Search Committee
3200 Arlington Loop
Hattiesburg, MS 39401.
Applications will be received through May 31, 2013, or until a suitable applicant is chosen.
A complete job description can be downloaded here, or simply scroll down.
The Associate Minister of University Baptist Church, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, will be:
- A person committed to Christ and His ministry through the Church.
- A person who is growing in faith, creative and visionary, intellectually alive, strong in Christian character and integrity, and relationally responsible.
- A person affirming God’s call to ministry in the Church.
- A person committed to the conviction that the church is a formational community, that faith is formed through nurturing relationships, practice of spiritual disciplines, participation in worship, and formative study and service opportunities that include, but are not limited to, traditional Sunday School classes, Bible studies and mission projects.
- A person holding an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university and holding a Master of Divinity Degree or the Master of Divinity Degree with concentration in Christian Education from an accredited seminary or divinity school.
- A person open to collaborative ministry in the context of a church staff working closely with both lay leadership and staff members.
- A person ordained or willing to seek ordination from a Baptist congregation.
The Associate Minister of University Baptist Church, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, will:
- Serve as a primary staff minister for children’s ministries, working with staff and laity to facilitate the formation of faith in children through leadership of Godly Play, Wednesday night programs, summer day camps, VBS, discipleship classes, mission projects, and other events. The Associate Minister’s work in children’s ministry will involve both “hands-on” ministry and coordination/training of volunteers.
- Supervise the nursery and preschool facilities and management of our paid nursery staff.
- Coordinate outreach to families with children and youth.
- Work collaboratively with staff and laity to enhance Wednesday Night opportunities for study and faith formation, with particular emphasis on children’s Wednesday night programs.
- Provide advice and assistance to the congregation in formulating and managing budgets and curricula for Christian education and faith formation.
- The Associate Minister will work alongside and supervise the part-time youth director to nurture our youth in Bible study, retreats, mission projects, a summer mission trip and other events.
- Work with the Christian Education Council, the staff and other appropriate lay leadership to design, develop, implement and evaluate ministries that foster formation in Christian faith for people of all ages. This should include the development of a comprehensive plan for Christian education across the generations.
- Serve as a resource person for the Sunday School leadership.
- Work toward the development of new ministries and enhance existing initiatives that promote the building of relationships between church members of all ages, in which faith formation can be accomplished through relationships of nurture and support.
- Participate weekly in worship planning and leadership and preach on a regular basis.
- Assist the Pastor in making visits to members who are homebound, hospitalized or in need of care, and to perspective members as needed; serve as the primary minister on call during the absence of the Pastor.
- Other duties may be added in keeping with the vision of the Associate Minister or the needs of the congregation.